By Emily Thomas
Although not everyone has the resources to visit and study museums up close and personal, the Internet makes it possible for you to get a look into them from afar. By following blogs from museums and curators, you can get a unique perspective on museums around the world. Check out these 100 blogs to study and see the latest from museums. (original post)
Resources & Advice
In these blogs, you’ll see useful resources and advice for museums.
- Museum 2.0: Nina Simon discusses participatory museum experiences.
- Museum Strategy: On the Museum Strategy blog, you’ll learn about museum communication and PR.
- Audience Research: Check out Audience Research, and you’ll get insight into audience research in museums and beyond.
- New Curator: New Curator takes a look at the future of museums.
- Im in Ur Museum Blogz: This Museum Collections Manager blogs about blogging.
- Smithsonian 2.0: Find out about new web endeavors from the Smithsonian on this blog.
- Ideum: Read this blog to learn about museum exhibit and design news.
- Museum People: Become a part of the museum community on this blog.
- How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media: Read this blog to find how you can put social media to work.
- Experienceology: Stephanie Weaver offers insight into creating great visitor experiences.
- The Attic: The Attic is a home for the Department of Museum Studies’ research students at the University of Leicester.
- ExhibiTricks: Read the ExhibiTricks to learn about the tricks of the trade in exhibits and museums.
- ExhibitFiles: This blog offers an online community to learn about exhibits and more.
- Open Objects: Open Objects offers a discussion about IT issues in museums and archaeology.
- The Museum Detective: Dr. Joanna Cobley shares stories from behind the scenes at museums on this blog.
- Doctor Dada: Learn about museums, multimedia, and the web on the Doctor Dada blog.
- Social Media and Cultural Communication: Get ideas and strategy for getting cultural participation in social media for your museum.
- Cultural Interpretation & Creative Education: Learn how cultural bodies can interpret their collections to connect with educators, tourism, and cultural politics.
- Museum-Ed: Read the Museum-Ed Blog to connect with the Museum Educator Community.
- Museum Planner: This blog is written for Board Members and stakeholders who work in various museums.
Curators & Staff
Check out these blogs to learn about museums from their curators and other staff.
- Taking Liberties: British Library curator Matthew Shaw blogs about the exhibition Taking Liberties: The Struggle for Britain’s Freedoms and Rights.
- Curator’s Corner: This curator’s blog is about anything art.
- LCHA Curator’s Corner: Check out this blog, a place for discussions among curators.
- Watts Gallery Director’s Blog: See new developments at the Watts Gallery through this blog from Perdita Hunt.
- Museum Director’s Blog: See insights and inside stories of the Museum of Jewish Heritage’s director David G. Marwell.
- conference.archimuse.com: This blog offers an online community for museum informatics professionals.
- Confessions of a Curator: This blog is about rare books and special collections at Northern Illinois University.
- Adventures of a Museum Maven: Read documentation of visits to museums and historical sites on this blog.
- Palaeo Manchester Blog: Read this blog to find out what the Curator of Palaeontology at The Manchester Museum does.
- The Carolina Curator: Daniel Smith is the Special Collections curator at the Health Sciences Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Watts Gallery-Curator’s Blog: Read this blog to get a behind the scenes look at the Watts Gallery from curator Mark Bills.
- Curator & Collector: In this blog, you’ll learn about museums, numismatics, and collections.
- The Zymoglyphic Museum Curator’s Blog: Study Zymoglyphic art, artifacts, and more through this blog.
- Woodson Wanderings: Follow the Woodson Art Museum staff to see a day in the life at the museum.
- Past Thinking: Tom Goskar and Tehmina Goskar discuss archaeology, museums, and other heritage issues to discuss how they can use technology to learn about the past.
- Hi-Q-RT: See unique art from Compound Gallery and beyond in this blog.
- Oregon State Arthropod Collection Curator’s Blog: Learn about activities, new events, and developments in this collection from the curators.
In these blogs, you can learn about art museums.
- Face to Face: Get up close and personal with the National Portrait Gallery on this blog.
- Eye Level: Eye Level is produced by the Smithsonian American Art Museum, written to highlight discussion beyond the walls of the museum.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: Follow this blog to find out what’s happening at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
- National Museums Liverpool Blog: Get unique perspectives from the staff and volunteers at National Museums Liverpool on this blog.
- George Eastman House: The Blog: Get a look into film, photographs and more through the George Eastman House blog.
- Brooklyn Museum: The Brooklyn Museum blog shares news about exhibits, current events, and behind the scenes moments at the museum.
- Modern Blog: Go beyond and behind the walls of the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.
- Indianapolis Museum of Art: Get a view into the art, nature park and more that’s a part of the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- Gibbes Museum Blog: Build a personal relationship with art through the Gibbes Museum of Art’s blog.
- Art Matters: Get news and art musings from inside the University of Iowa Museum of Art’s blog.
- Asian Art Museum Blog: Travel through thousands of years of history, sample cultures and more through the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco’s blog.
- McMaster Museum of Art: In this space, the McMaster Museum of art discusses everything related to the McMaster Museum of Art, contributed by museum staff.
- University of Wyoming Art Museum: Read this museum’s blog to stay up to date on exhibitions, programs and news relating to the University of Wyoming Art Museum.
- Hammer Museum: Find out more about the Hammer Museum’s culture and collections through the Hammer Museum blog.
- Amon Carter Museum: Read about the Amon Carter Museum of fine American art in Fort Worth, Texas on this blog.
- Nasher Museum of Art: The Nasher Museum of Art at Duke is home to traveling exhibitions in modern and contemporary art.
Children & Education
See fun activities and more in these blogs about children’s and education museums.
- The Learning Team, The Manchester Museum: Find learning resources and more through the Manchester Museum blog.
- What’s Happening at The Children’s Museum of Memphis?: This museum’s blog welcomes dreamers.
- The Children’s Museum in Easton: This museum works to make lifelong journals.
- Bay Area Discovery Museum: Find out about the latest events and exhibits at the Bay Area Discovery Museum.
History & Culture
These blogs share the happenings of history and culture museums.
- Tenement Museum: The Tenement Museum tells the story of immigrants to America.
- Burpee Museum of Natural History: Read about local biology, prehistory, and geo-science on the Burpee Museum blog.
- Blog from Battery Place: This blog offers a behind the scenes look at the Museum of Jewish Heritage.
- Found History: See digital and public history on this blog.
- Museum Anthropology: Read articles, reviews, notes, and more about museum anthropology on this blog.
- High Desert Musings: Check out the high desert through this museum blog.
- Henry VIII: Man and Monarch: Get a unique perspective on the Henry VIII exhibition at the British Library from this blog.
- Yesterday.sg: Stay up to date on Singapore’s Heritage, Museums and Nostalgia from this museum blog.
- Chicago History Museum: Get updated on collections, events, multimedia, and more from the Chicago History Museum on this blog.
- The Bowers Museum Collection Blog: Find out more about the collection department at the Bowers Museum on this blog.
- Annapolis Royal Heritage: Learn about heritage in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Guided By History: Check out the Wells Fargo blog to learn from archivists and historians.
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History: Stay informed about what’s new and coming along at SNOMNH through this blog.
- The Burke Museum Blog: Read the Burke Museum Blog to see behind the scenes at the museum.
In these blogs, you’ll get to see unique information and displays from science museums.
- American Museum of Natural History Climate Change Blog: Learn about signs of change on this blog from the American Museum of Natural History.
- Biomedicine on Display: Read the Medical Museion to see objects and more in biomedicine.
- More to Explore: Explore this blog from the Fort Collins Museum and Discovery Science Center blog.
- Museum Victoria: Go behind the scenes with the zoologists of the Melbourne Museum on this blog.
- Adventures in Earth and Space: Learn about experiences in NASA Earth and Space science missions from this blog.
- Science Circus: The Science Circus is the world’s biggest traveling science outreach center.
- Beyond Bones: Read this blog to find out what’s happening at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
- UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research: See the Botany Photo of the Day in this blog.
- Tree Frog Treks: Explore the wild science adventures in Tree Frog Treks through this blog.
- Science Museum of Long Island: On this blog, you can find out what’s happening at SMLI.
These blogs will give you a glimpse into anything and everything museums.
- East Lothian Council Museums Service Blog: Get everyday looks into collections from steam locomotives to fine art.
- Endangered Archives Blog: This blog discusses the Endangered Archives program at the British Library.
- The Pet Museum: This museum examines the lives, times, art and history of pets.
- Exploratorium Explainers: Read the experiences, thoughts, and more of the Explainers at the Exploratorium, part of San Francisco’s Museum of Science, Art, and Human Perception.
- Cooper-Hewitt Design Blog: Find out what’s going on at the Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum on this blog.
- Design Museum: This blog is about design museums around the world.
- Whaling Museum Blog: The Whaling Museum blog records museum happenings and offers a way to connect with the museum.
- greenmuseum.blog: Learn about pollution, preservation, and other green issues through the Green Museum blog.
- Huronia Museum Blog: This museum relates to the Georgian Bay, Huron & Ojibwa First Nations People, and Huronia culture.
- food museum blog: The Food Museum Blog shares eclectic reporting on all things food.
- Powerhouse Museum Object of the Week: You’ll see a new object among Powerhouse Museum’s collection of 385,000 every week.
- Harley Davidson Museum: This museum blog shares Harley Davidson updates, events, and more.
- Ingalls Library & Museum Archives: This blog will help you keep up with what’s new and happening at the Ingalls Library.
- The Women’s Museum: This blog will take you inside the national women’s history museum.
- Looting Matters: Read about the ethics of collecting antiques from this blog.
- Ohio Archaeology Blog: On this blog, you’ll learn about what’s happening with the Ohio Historical Society.
- Cody Firearms Museum’s Weblog: Check out stories of Buffalo Bill, firearms history, and more on this blog.
- National Scouting Museum Curator’s Corner: Learn about the official museum of the Boy Scouts of America from this blog.
- Around the Mall: See what’s happening in the Smithsonian museums and more in this blog.